We help organizations to take advantage of untapped opportunities and to solve business problems. How? First we figure out what’s keeping people from doing their best work, and then we figure out how to get those barriers out of their way.
Problems and Opportunities
Everyone and every organization has opportunities for improvement. Most people and organizations have problems to solve. Here are some examples:
- People don’t know what to do.
- They don’t know how to do it.
- They can’t get started.
- Their efforts aren’t quite focussed.
- Things don’t get finished on time.
- There are too many errors.
- Managers don’t delegate.
- People aren’t working as a team.
- Conflict gets in the way of getting things done.
- The organization of the organization isn’t helping.
- Some processes are inefficient, irrational, irrelevant, or just plain impossible.
- A change in the works will cause or is already causing a huge lack of productivity.
- The training program isn’t working.
- New people aren’t getting up to speed fast enough.
- The new training staff should use instructional design.
- Executives, managers, HR folks, and/or the training people should have more of a performance focus.
- We need a strategy for learning and performance improvement.
We work with companies that want to align their organizations to increase the contribution their people can make to business results. Our customers recognize that people are their most important asset and they want to make sure that they are able to make their best contributions.
Our services include developing training and performance improvement strategies and programs. When there is something keeping employees from doing their best work-a lack of knowledge, skills, motivation, tools, or processes-we figure out what the barriers are to their achievement and then create solutions to remove those barriers.
Our expertise is in performance technology and instructional design. We take a human performance, systems approach to making improvements in an organization. We help your company improve the performance of managers and employees to achieve superior business results. The types of consulting and solutions we provide include:
- Diagnosis: figuring out what is going on, what causes it, and how to fix it
- Knowledge solutions: training, coaching, job aids, information, feedback, web-based solutions
- Motivation solutions: helping employees to choose, persist, and engage with desired tasks to achieve important results
- Organizational and environmental solutions: design and creation of structures, rational processes, methodologies, tools, templates, etc.
- Evaluation: measuring results to ensure that business goals are achieved
In addition to working directly on projects to improve business results, we also work with training and performance improvement organizations to help them improve their knowledge, skills, and practices. We assist training organizations to transition into performance improvement organizations, providing workshops, coaching, plans, and consulting, as appropriate.
A Partial Client List
At J. Farrington Consulting, we work with people in a variety of organizations—large, small, old, new, high tech, retail, financial, governmental, academic, nonprofit, local to Silicon Valley or across the country. The common denominators are requirements for learning, organization alignment, or improved performance. Here is a list of some of our clients:
- Community College League of California
- California State Automobile Association
- Cisco Systems
- Darryl L. Sink & Associates
- Dell Computer
- Fireman’s Fund Insurance
- Foothill-DeAnza Community College District
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Hitachi Data Systems
- Institute for Creative Technologies (at USC)
- International Society for Performance Improvement
- Kaiser Permanente
- Learning Tree International
- Levi Strauss & Co.
- Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Pacific Pulmonary Services
- Pacific Rim Capital
- Proctor & Gamble
- SanDisk Memory Systems
- Southern California Edison
- Sun Microsystems
- Taco Bell
- University of Southern California
- U.S. Army
- VERITAS Software (now Symantec)
- West Valley-Mission Community College District